Was drafting an article for an application and I thought I’d share about my recent adventure to Cambodia. Pardon my informality. The more I wrote, the more I got carried away in my own travels. I will be sharing more personal information (my expenditures, my favourite photos of my companions, places I’ve visited and lived in, food I’ve eaten) in a post tagged under the Travel page in due time!
I recently came back from a 10-day trip to Cambodia in August 2014. Below are 10 reasons why you should visit Cambodia while you’re young, before age takes the daredevil out of you.
- Meet people of all walks of life.
I met a writer, a diver, volunteers from Peace Corps and UN, backpackers from all over the world and… monkeys!
- Encounter the hospitality of countryside families.
A tuk tuk driver in Kampot, Cambodia, standing in the middle of a salt field.
- Conquer your fear of height with 45-degree steep stairs.
Picture taken in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Stay in a tree house overlooking the sea.
If you aren’t afraid of living on stilts, don’t mind the basic amenities that a tree house is limited to, dream of listening to the crashing of waves as you fall asleep, love to be awaken to the sound of crickets in the morning crisp air, wish to experience a sunrise view from the comfort of your room, this is the place for you to be!
Treehouse Bungalows in Sihanoukville, Cambodia
- Sleep in an overnight bus.
Only Giant Ibis operates overnight bus trips between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.
- Experience via ferrata, rock climbing, abseiling and caving all in half a day (and be rewarded with a panoramic view).
These limestone rocks are found in Kampot, Cambodia.
If you’d like to add a outdoor workout to your sightseeing trip, you can book a half or full day tour with David from Climbodia.
- Immerse in the beauty of the padi fields.
Picture taken in Kampot, Cambodia.
- Embark on astonishingly cheap & scenic road trips.
You can rent a motorbike for $10 or a bicycle for $5 for the whole day!
Picture taken atop Bokor Mountain, Kampot, Cambodia.
- Be filled with wonderment at the rich history of Cambodia.
Picture taken in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- Experience a purple sunrise.
The atmospheric air causes the discoloration of the sunrise.
Picture taken in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Here’s another reason why you should go to Cambodia when you’re young and cash-strapped- Cambodia is cheap!
Accommodation can go as low as $5 at a guesthouse, and $45 at a 4-star hotel in the city. Return fight tickets cost $79 when I flew there with Tigerair. It’s too good a deal to miss!